Saturday, January 12, 2013

"All out...All the time."

     I lost a good friend of mine recently.  No matter how many deep breaths I take, there is a heaviness in my heart that won't go away.  His passing was much too soon, and I grieve for all the life he had yet to live.  I am sad for his wife who was undoubtedly the love of his life.  I am sad for his daughters who are too young to truly appreciate just how special Daddy was.  I am sad for his family; parents who lost a most ideal son, and siblings who no longer have the unwavering strength and support of their big brother to lean on.  I am sad for his friends, both past and present, because he was the kind of guy that you made it a point to keep in touch with.
     His was a personality that sparkled.  You couldn't help but smile when you saw him.  He was upbeat, charismatic, adventurous and fun.  He made it a point to be optimistic, never wasting any time on petty drama.  It was easy for him to offer a genuine compliment; and when he said it, you knew he really meant it.  He was admirably fair, always willing to do his part and pay his way.  He was eager to make out with his wife in public, and tore up every dance floor he ever encountered.  Always happy to share the spotlight, he was most content just being a part of the crowd, never dismissing a soul.
     In his short 38 years, Cory Sprow packed more goodness into his life than most 80 year-olds.   His voice may have been quiet, but he lived out loud.  He touched the people around him and left imprints on their hearts.  It was necessary to hold his funeral in a high school gym, and there wasn't an open seat in the house.   The service was uplifting and peaceful, just the way he would have liked it.  I left his memorial inspired to be the best version of myself, as did everyone.  
     Even in passing, his legacy continues to grow.  The continued outpouring of community support and fund raising for his family has been sensational.  His spirit is catching.  In some ways, he's more alive than ever.  With Cory in my heart, I am motivated to contribute more of myself to help people.  To lift my peers up when they are feeling down.  To get caught in the act, instead of the dream.

No comments: